We hope you will enjoy being a customer of Cooks Van Hire ltd, and we want to make sure your experience is as safe and useful as possible. Here you can find out what data we collect from you, how we use it, conditions where we may disclose this data to others and how we keep it secure.
Cooks Van Hire Ltd takes the issue of security and data protection very seriously and strictly adheres to guidelines published in the United Kingdom Data Protection Act of 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 which is applicable from the 25th May 2018.
Personal Information that we collect, why we collect it and how we use it.
- We obtain information about you when you contact us in branch or over the phone and when you use our website or e-mail. We need this information to enable us to provide our in branch services as well as telephone bookings or online bookings. This section sets out in more detail what information we collect, why we collect it, how we use it and how long we keep your information.
- Please be aware if you book a vehicle from Cooks Van Hire Ltd we will collect your full name and contact telephone number. If you do not fulfil your booking then your details will be deleted from our system within 6 weeks of the phone or online enquiry.
- When you come to Cooks Van Hire Ltd to fulfil your booking we must further collect, full address details, date of birth, note of your occupation, any disabilities that the DVLA is aware of, we need to see a proof of address such as a utility bill, your licence number, issue/expiry date and issue number, Debit/Credit card details for completed payment and information on any penalty points you have. Your details will be retained in line with all regulatory laws and will be held for no longer than 5 years, unless you choose to hire with us again before the end of the 5 years. Physical copies of your hire agreement will be securely shredded after 5 years, in line with tax and insurance regulations, as well as, for audit purposes.
- If you make a public liability claim against Cooks Van Hire Ltd will have to keep a record of your full name, contact information, DOB, medical information, witness information and 3rd party information. This must be kept for 30 years after the claim – in line with regulatory laws.
- If you injure yourself at Cooks Van Hire Ltd then we are under a legal obligation to fill in an accident form this will include, full name, contact information, nature of injury and description of treatment. We are legally required to keep these forms for 5 years after the incident then after they will be securely shredded.
- Disclosure to certain Third Parties
- If we sell any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective buyer of such business or assets.
- If Cooks Van Hire Ltd assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- We may contract a data cleansing organisation to ensure all data is accurate and up to date.
- If required by the DVLA to provide evidence of the drivers of our vehicles for audit or legal purposes.
- If you make an insurance claim for a Cooks Van Hire vehicle then we will need to know all accident or incident information, third party involved information, witness information and medical information. This information will be passed to our insurers and will be kept on our systems for 7 years – in line with regulatory laws.
- In the event of an unpaid/disputed account by a customer, personal information will be forwarded to our appointed third party debt recovery/legal representatives to proceed on the grounds of legitimate interests to recover the account.
- Data Security
- Any personal or company details received via our website will only be used by us and we do not sell or otherwise give away your private information to any third party unless legally required to.
- Please be aware that the transmission of information via the internet is not always completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the complete security of your data transmitted to us electronically; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to restrict unauthorised access.
- Data Storage and Use of Data Outside of the European Economic Area
- Cooks Van Hire Ltd do not hold any personal data outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”)
- Your Rights
- You have the right to request a copy of the personal information about you that we hold
- Correcting information, we want to make sure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date and may ask us to correct any personal information about you that you believe does not meet these standards.
- You have the right to ask us to delete personal information about you if you consider that we no longer require the information for the purpose for which it was obtained.
- Changes to our Privacy & Cookies Policy
- Contact information and further advice
For further information or advice please contact:
Cooks Van Hire Ltd, Langbrae, Newtown, St.Boswells, Melrose TD6 0PJ